Re: If esd is running Mozilla won't launch

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 07:42:48 -0500
"Michael D. Crawford" <crawford@goingware.com> wrote:

> This is very strange.
>
> I just installed package esound (the Enlightened Sound Daemon) on my
> powerpc Macintosh.  Afterwards I found that I could not launch Mozilla
> anymore.
>
> Figuring Mozilla was having some problem with esd, I tried killing the
> esd process, and then Mozilla would launch.
>
> If I then started esd again, I am able to open new Mozilla windows.
> So I guess I have a workaround, but it should not be this way.  Can
> you tell me what is wrong?

I had a similar problem once with esd in RH9.  The first app to play a
sound would play about 1 second of it, then its GUI would lock up;
subsequently, any apps attempting to play sounds (including the Gnome
panel) would become similarly unresponsive.  Each time, I killed esd and
everything unfroze until the next time something tried to play a sound.
Eventually I just shut all sounds off, because gnome was launching esd
any time it wanted to play a sound even though I told it not to.

The solution that worked for me may not be what you want to hear:
replace your hardware.  I was using the onboard AC97 on my new
motherboard, and the AC97 drivers apparently just suck.  When I
installed a genuine SoundBlaster PCI128, esd automagically started
working again.

Krum