Re: Which GCC version for kernels?

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 12:54:21AM -0500, Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> Should I be using GCC 3.x for building kernels on Woody?  I'm using 2.95
> and I keep getting errors like undefined symbols and modules not being
> built or installed.  I've tried both 'make-kpkg kernel-image' and the
> standard 'make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make
> modules_install && make install'.  I'm also having trouble building the
> wlan-ng drivers, but I want to get a nice clean kernel build before I
> try to sort that one out.  (I got make-kpkg to build a package once, but
> it didn't contain any modules.  Do I have to use 'make-kpkg modules' or
> something?)
>
> Incidentally, what is the command to upgrade GCC?  I'm quite new to
> Debian and I've had to install it three times already.  I'm sure that
> even with apt I'll find a way to screw it up. :o)
>
> Thanks,
> Krum

Hi Krum,

Did you try running 'make-kpkg clean' first? I think this may well be your problem.

I think GCC version may not be your problem.

For your reference, this is the procedure most commonly used:

1.) while in kernel directory run 'make-kpkg clean'

2.) make-kpkg --revision=your_kernel_name.1.0 kernel_image

3.) once you've built your kernel, you can go one directory up and dpkg -i
your_kernel_name.1.0

I hope this helps (and works for you).

Cheers,

Davor