Re: X Won't Start

Mark Healey wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 21:13:24 -0600, Kent West wrote:
Mark Healey wrote:

My X won't work with the default installation.
<snippage here and elsewhere>

Someone Suggested that I boot knoppix and copy /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from there to my hd and reboot.  I did that.  X started but with no
mouse movement.  Just a cursor.
Get out of X11 to a plain text screen.

Since X won't start that isn't a problem.

Move the mouse. Do you see a white cursor block moving around on the screen?

No.

If you do, then you have gpm installed/running. If not, then no gpm.
Appearantly I have no gpm.  I was surprised when I had no text mode
mouse but figured that it was something I could use.

Is this somethihg I might be able to install?

Yes. "apt-get install gpm".

--
Kent