Re: samba printer

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 12:57:53PM +0100, Martin Sengstschmid wrote:
> Hallo!
> I found your Email-address in the Mailinglist of debian.

Note that I'm sending this message to the list as well.
If this isn't enough to get you going, please direct further questions
to the list.

> I have now
> the similar problem, as you described
>
> >Well, she can *see* the printer in the network neighborhood, yes.  And when
> I> tell windows to 'install' it, the 'properties' tab shows
> \>\server\printername as you mentioned.  And I tell it "use existing driver"
> (>because I've already installed 'em from hp's CD)...  But then when I try
> >to print a test page I get:
> >  There was an error writing to \\shorty\lj1200
> >  The network name cannot be found.
>
> I also want to connect a Win98-PC with Samba-Cups. Samba and Cups
> work. I can see my printer in the network  neighborhood but if I want
> to print:
>
>   There was an error writing to \\asus\Tektronix
>   The network name cannot be found.
>
> How did you solve the problem?

I think that the solution was posted to the debian mailing-list too, but
hey. I know those archives can be a pain to navigate through.

What solved it in my case was this:
In my /etc/samba/smb.conf file, there was a section called [printers],
and in that section there was a line
        path = /var/spool/samba
but there was no /var/spool/samba directory, so I had to create it, and
give it open enough permissions that samba users could read and write to
it.

	Cheers!
--