Re: Spamassassin daemon running aimlessly

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 01:37:43PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> I'm finding the documentation cryptic, and need simple direction.
>
> I ran # spamd -cd, and assumed it would check my incoming mail
> according to a preferences file, and that it would dump spam into a
> location such as ~/mail/spam.

I'm afraid it's not that simple...

> While I can start the spamd process with the two options OK, none of
> the other things happen. Incoming mail is not checked, no
> ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file is created, and no spam dump file is
> created.
>
> I'm running postfix MTA and rmail/emacs for MUA under debian 3.0r1.

You need to specify at some point in the delivery chain that you want
the message to be passed to spamc.  This will cause spamassassin (by
default) to just add some headers to the message.
If you want it to be filtered into a separate folder, you need to use a
filtering MDA such as procmail (to filter based on those headers)...

This means either have postfix pass the mail to spamc on its way to
delivery...
(dman has some very helpful docs for doing this from _exim_ here:
http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/config_docs/exim-spamassassin/
but I'm afraid I have no experience with postfix)...

Or set up two rules in procmail... one to pipe the message through
spamc, then a second to sort based on the headers.

	Cheers!
--