Re: Learning debian Linux

Second try at this.  Meant to send it to the list last night, but ended up going out as a private email instead...

On 20 Nov 2003 at 10:44, Clive Menzies wrote:

> On (20/11/03 10:42), Knut Willy wrote:
> > I am a novice at Linux. Never used it, but want to teach myself.
> >
> > 1. Have a Windows-98 PC, which has internet connection.
> >    Do not intend to use Linux on this one.
> >    Afraid of having two operating systems on same machine.

> If you have a broadband connection and a enough disk space, installing a
> dual boot system will be much easier than trying to install the whole
> system via floppies.  FWIW, I am relatively new to Linux and Debian (my
> first distro) and have installed dual booting systems on both Intel and
> Mac PC's. It is a steep learning  curve but v satisfying.

And if you don't want to tinker around with repartitioning your Windows-98 hard drive, you
can install a second drive in your system, and make that a dedicated drive for Linux.  The key
is in the boot loader, LILO.  It would be installed on the MBR of your first hard drive, and with
that, you can select which partition to boot;

hda1 for the Windows drive
hdb1 for the Linux drive

You would also be able to mount your Windows drive from within Linux, so you can access
everything you have as needed.  :D
--Alt-Boundary-19018.5960306--

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now