Re: Is it possible to recover deleted ext2 partitions??

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Anita Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:26:44 +0530, Vikas B N wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> >  I have a system running WinXP and Linux. Except
> >  for one partition, all others are ext2 partitions.
> >  I had to make some space for a FAT32 partition,
> >  so wanted to format one of the ext2 partitions
> >  to FAT32. So, I booted into linux and used fdisk
> >  to delete a partition(hda5). After deleting the
> >  partition, when fdisk listed the partitions, it
> >  had mysteriously deleted all other logical partitions
> >  as well!! (except for swap space).

not mysteriously ..

if hda5 was your extended partition ... than all subsequent
logical partions will go pooff when you delete the (reference)
extended partition

> >  I have been doing some googling on this since morning
> >  and havent been able to find anything. I have also
> >  tried to use the "undelete" feature in Partition Magic.
> >  But it returned an error and didn't go further.

as long as oyu didnt write any new data to the disk, your
partitions are still there ... nor format the partitions

> >  Is there anything that I can do about it? I am particular
> >  on this because, one of the partitions happen to be my
> >  /home... :(

guess .... lots o guessing ... or start using a specific
partition scheme that doesnt change .. night or day or
any other whacky reasons why one partition is better than another

for restoring ... your ext4 is probably end-hda3+1 till end-of-disk

was logical hda5 starting from n or m ... till o or was it p
was hda6 starting from  o+1 till p or qq
was hda7 starting from p+1 till q or rr

if you followed a particular partition size creation pattern,
+2M, +10M, +10M for your partition size, fdisk might get you
back to the right cylinder start and ending info again
	- run e2fsck on the partitions after you recreated it

	- if its happy .. backup your data to new backup media
	and double check your paritions and boundries again
	( or reformat to make sure the cylinders stop/start is
	( at the rirght places and restore from previous backup

for the future...
- save a printed copy of the partition tables taped to the disk

	fdisk -l /dev/hda | lpr

	( no point in storing the partition info on the same disk
	( if the partions gets whacked

c ya
alvin