dual-monitor window manager

I just got a free 17" Acer 79g, and got a Matrox Millenium II cheap from
ebay. I added these to an 17" IBM g74 with Nvidia geForce4 mx440se, and
have had good luck. I was able to push the matrox to do 1280x1024 with
an additional memory module from the agp matrox in my server :)
(servers don't need good vid cards).

The Matrox runs well with the matroxfb driver, and the nvidia uses the
newest driver from nvidia. The monitors look good on their respective
cards.

Now for the problems:
When the computer boots, it is set to init the AGP card first, and does.
However, when the kernel loads the matroxfb driver, the display switches
to the other monitor. This scared the crap out of me when I first did
it, because all I saw was that my IBM monitor wasn't responding.

So, is there a way to use the geforce for the main monitor? I prefer it
for console work, the acer was free because it does some internal
arcing, and flickers :) It is destined for the scrap pile when I can
find the spare cash to get a 21", and put the IBM on the matrox.

Second, my WM of choice, enlightenment, seems to handle the monitors
well. I have two identical desktop systems, and I can move through them
independently. Example: I have 4 virtual desktops on each monitor, and
can scroll through them with alt+f[1-4] or the mouse scroll. Thats
really cool.

The problem is that I can't drag apps between the monitors. Left is Left
and Right is Right. Where I start it is where it stays. Is this the
window managers' doing, or X's? If it is E's doing, what other wm's
handle it better?

Lastly: is dual-monitor console practical? I figure I'm pretty set for
terminals when I'm in E. I've got 9 open right now. I usually only do
rescue work at the console, when 8 terminals is more than enough.
However, it would be nice to have lynx on one monitor at a console on
the other. Is this possible?

Heres the relevant section of my XF86Config, in case its important.
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "IBMNvidia"
        Screen          "AcerMatrox" RightOf "IBMNvidia"
        InputDevice     "Generic Keyboard"
        InputDevice     "Configured Mouse"
EndSection
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Blackalicious - First In Flight : Blazing Arrow