Re: OT, proper phone wire question?

Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is really proper or not, but I've been noticing a
> lot of newer houses using regular old CAT 5 twisted-pair cable for phone
> cable.

The house I lived in as an undergrad just did renovations, and now
each of the rooms has two cat5 RJ45 jacks.  One is 10mbit Ethernet,
the other is phone; you can plug a normal RJ11 phone cable into it for
lines 1-2, or use a magic splitter cable to get lines 1-2 and lines
3-4 on separate RJ11 plugs.  More practical if you have more than two
voice lines in your house, though.  (And we really wanted more than
one net drop per room...)

	-- Abra Mitchell