Kde Apps and UTF-8

I tried to fix this one for the last weeks, but haven't got anywhere.

I have a display-related problem with utf-8; I am running Debian Sid, XFree
4.2, freetype2 and KDE 3.1.4 (LANG=it_IT.UTF-8), and every kde application
does not handle well a subset of utf-8 characters. While accented, greek or
even chinese characters are displayed correctly, I only get a white box
when trying with single and double quotations, among others.

Here is a short excerpt from http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/misc
unitest/ :

The convention in English is “to use double quotation marks to indicate
quotation, and ‘single quotation marks’ for nested quotations.”

the above sentence is displayed correctly in gnome apps, but not in qt-based
ones, no matter what font I use (though I generally use Lucida Sans Serif
Unicode).

I searched thoroughly bugs.kde.org and google, but to no avail...

--
Danilo Raineri, danirain@tin.it