Re: A idea for newbies.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:39:03 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <hoyt13@wiredok.com> wrote:

> If you have a machine that is newer than "Woody" you may run into
> difficulties that you cant solve.  This list is a great help but it
> takes time.  After spending a couple of weeks resolving X wont boot
> and Modem wont work I must admit to being flustered
> I spent 36 hours (approx) downloading libranet classic 2.7.
> Transfered the iso to CD and booted.  Outside of having to configure
> PPP(it didnt know my name, or my ISP, or its phone #).  The system
> worked.   I did in two days what I couldnt do it 2 weeks.
> The system isnt perfect but I'm a lot closer now than I was.
> Just an idea if you think it might work for you.
> Regards;
> Hoyt

I started off that way. I bought the discs for Libranet 2.0 originally,
and then 2.8.1., and it has been a great way to familiarize myself with
'surface' Debian. There is one hiccup though, depending on which way you
want to go. You can tie yourself up for ever becoming familiar with this
app, and that one, and there are thousands of them. If that's all you
want, great. If not, it can distract you from breaking through the GUI
and getting your hands dirty.

How I am using the situation now is retaining Libranet as a main system,
online so that I have uninterrupted access to docs, and doing up a
couple of Fujitech 486 desktop units that I got for nothing, one as a
standalone firewall (Bastille, to learn about firewalls), and the other
as a mail server to learn about mail programmes and spamassassin,
clamav, etc., and build-up and learn about networking that way.

2.7 is a good system, and with selective apt-getting/removing you can
get an even better one. Yes, Libranet is a great way to go for Newbies.
Regards,

David.