Re: OT, proper phone wire question?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:36:57PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 07:59:08PM -0500, lee wrote:
| | Sorry to get off topic but I need to re-wire my DSL connection at
| | home here and need to buy some phone wire and am curious if there
| | is a good/better/best type of wire I should purchase..will be a
| | direct run to my modem going about 100' or so from my box..
|
| Typically phones use Cat 0 (or is Cat 1 the lowest?) cable.  That
| cable has 0 twists in it.
[...]
| Using Cat 0 or Cat 3 should be fine, but the Cat 3 will cost more
| money.  You *may* have noise problems with Cat 0 which will hurt
| your ability to connect, maintain a connection, and will limit
| transfer rates.  Basically "more is better" when it comes to twists,
| but also "more costs more".

Oh, yeah, you were talking about DSL, not dial-up.  I'd recommend
putting the DSL box right by the phone jack (less distance from modem
to CO) and run a longer ethernet cable from it to your computer.  If
that isn't an option (internal modem) then I'd go for better (as in
Cat3, not Cat0) cabling bewteen the modem and the wall socket.

--
If your life is a hard drive,
Christ can be your backup.