Re: ATA Controller

>Adrian at Linux <linux@204eastsouth.com>
>scribbled on Date: Today 09:03:14

>Greetings all.  I have a second IDE controller card installed in my
>system and am trying to get it to work under debian.
>
>Things that may be relevant:
>
>hda - 15g HD
>hdb - 20g HD
>hdc - cdrom
>hdd - cdburner
>and on the second controller
>hde - 30g HD
>
>hde is reiserfs and is operational under my Mandrake 9.1 install, but
>not seen by my Woody install.  It is a "fresh" install after all the
>hardware was in place, not hardware added after the install.

>Hardware specifics:
>Promise Technology, Inc.
>Ultra 100 TX2 ATA/100 Controller

>The manual says to go to www.promise.com for Linux for "updates on Linux
>support".  Well, I did so, but no found no love.

>Also tried to Google, but didn't get any results that I understood or
>could use.

>So, any suggestions?  I can't help but think I simply need to use
>modprobe and install a module or such.  I played around with that idea,
>but didn't hit upon anything that worked.  Of course, since I'm not sure
>what I'm looking for, I was guessing.

>'Thank you very much.
>Adrian

If you are using a woody kernel, such as bf2.4.18 you will have to use a more
current kernel image, because you will most likely have to have the promise
driver present as a module.  You should look for module promise pdc 20269 you
can verify this with what lspci says about your card.  Then you can see if
modconf shows the module in your current kernel.  If it does then go ahead
and load it, look in your dmesg for the fact it loaded the module.  If not
you can make a custom kernel,or download a newer kernel image with the added
support. You might need to change /etc/fstab to have your drives mountable.
You can always check cfdisk if the drives are showing up properly.

If you still can not get it to recognize the drives, try booting off a knoppix
cd and looking at what modules knoppix loads by using lsmod.  If you do
search on google pass it along the pdc 20269 search line, it seems like some
people have a love hate relationship with this card.  I do have this card but
my dual motherboard hates it, and is now in windows only system.

Rthoreau