Re: instaleren op 486 met 128 mb hd

on Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:45:44AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich (schnobs@babylon-kino.de) wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 02:34, ben wrote:
>
> > he's got a 486 with a 128 meg hard drive, and three dimm slots with a
> > total capacity of 48 megs of ram, [...]
> > use the box as a printserver and/or(?) eventually an apache server,
> > mysql, etc. he's got a harware router for his home network which
>
> And, in case you're still waiting for a reply...
>
> A 486/48Mb should be OK, but I see problems with the 128Mb disk. If you
> knew how to strip down the system you wouldn't have asked in the first
> place, I presume.
>
> I suggest a disk of at least 300, better 500 Mb for your job.

I've got a (very minimal) rescue system fit onto 150 MiB, using only
about 115 MiB of that.  This includes kernel libs, but not the kernel
itself.  It doesn't include any swap.

I've posted the package list for this system at:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/system2-packages.gz

Personally, I'd go with one of the following alternatives:

  - Create a custom "Linux from Scratch" system with just the software &
    libs necessary for the printserver.

  - Use a more capable system.

  - Use a bootable distro (e.g.:  LNX-BBC), though I suspect the memory
    requirements will kill this.

  - Use a netboot (e.g.:  Linux Terminal Server Project) to boot a
    printserver.

Peace.

    Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
    - Princess Bride