Re: blank screen in Xvnc / xrdb can't open display - on Woody

"Jonathan Dowland" <jmtd@compsoc.dur.ac.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 07:04:42PM -0000, John Stumbles wrote:
>
> > xrdb: Connection refused
> > xrdb: Can't open display 'Hostname:1'
> >
> > I think I read somewhere else that it could be an Xauth cookie issue,
but
> > I've lost that piece and haven't a clue how to investigate that
possibility.

> This sounds like a possibility. Are you trying to run xrdb remotely? Try
> locally, and perhaps another app like xterm, locally. Try moving
> ~/.Xauthority for your user, restarting X and vnc  and see if that makes a
> difference (unless you know that you need this file for another purpose,
> and make sure you don't weaken the permissions)

Sorry, I didn't understand that.

I'm running the vnc viewer on a different (windows) machine to the server
(which is on woody), but the error message (xrdb: Can't open display) is
generated when I run vncserver, not when I start the remote vnc viewer (so I
don't think the other, windoze, machine has anything to do with it).

I did try moving ~/.Xauthority and running vncserver. I get:

xauth: creating new authority file /home/user/.Xauthority

New 'X' desktop is Hostname:1

Starting applications specified in /etc/X11/Xsession
Log file is /home/user/.vnc/Hostname:1.log

but .xsession-errors still gets [re]written with

xrdb: Connection refused
xrdb: Can't open display 'Hostname:1'

With my new .Xauthority if I try running xterm I get
Xlib: Client is not authorised to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: can't open display: :0

If I switch back my .Xauthority to the original one and run xterm I get an
xterm on my local gui.

Incidentally my .Xauthority is -rw------; the original (which seems to be
created by my gui session) is size 418 but the one created when I run
vncserver is size 101.

Durr, i still don't understand: .Xauthority seems to be created by my
regular gui X session, and is not overwritten by vncserver's startup, though
vncserver will create its own (smaller/broken?) .Xauthority if none exists.
Is this what should happen? Is this the problem? (and if so, what is the
solution? :-)

tia

--
John Stumbles