Re: kernel patch question

Hello Richard!
Hello Kevin (CCed to)!

Regarding instruction from
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 01:06:08PM +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 08:36:34 +0100
Florian Ernst <florian@uni-hd.de> wrote:

So don't forget to run 'make-kpkg clean' before attempting a
recompile, which incidentally is just what '5.6. Making the kernel
image' from above doc recommends.

Hmmn, well that's what I think I was doing.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound offensive, I just thought you might
have overlooked this step.

However, it's clear that there's room for improvement in the webpage,
since what it says seems to be in conflict with the man page.  The former
says the patch is reversed after building, the latter says make-kpkg clean
reverses it.

The webpage also says that make-kpkg automates and replaces make dep, make
clean, ... This implies that it runs a make clean anyway.  So I guess this
is misleading too, since having to run make-kpkg clean separately is
hardly an automation.

Ah, I think I finally understood the root of this problem:
it is true, 'make-kpkg' is supposed to automate these steps, like
running make dep, make clean etc., so it automates a _single_ build.
But in order to reverse all the applied patches / to start from
scratch one needs to do a 'make-kpkg clean' which actually does a
make distclean and some other stuff like unapplying patches.
So 'make clean' != 'make-kpkg clean'.

I guess here lies the misunderstanding, but maybe it is on my side,
though. But after all I couldn't find any clue on how they can claim
on the webpage that a simple make-kpkg automatically unapplies all
patches in the end of a build.
I'll CC to Kevin McKinley, the author, just in case he wants to
clarify on this in future versions. (BTW thanks, Kevin, for your great
work!)

Cheers,
Flo