Re: Help! kernels with hde2 and sdb2 as root devices.

>  I am using a Gateway 700CX with a 160 GB Maxtor ATA hard drive which
>  uses SATA. I found that I could get the hard drive recognized only
with
>  Knoppix 3.3, and I used knx-hdinstall to install sid on the hard
drives
>  which are recognized as hde. The cd rom is recognized as sr0 and the
>  Iomega zip drive  (750 MB) is recognized as sda. (Initially they are
>  recognized as hda (zip drive) hdb (maxtor) and hdc (cdrom) and then
>  they are reassigned. I was
>  using  2.4.22 kernel but the Zip drive is not recognized
consistently,
>  with error messages like:
>
>      hdd: DMA interrupt recovery
>      hdd: lost inerrrupt
>      ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected -
>      discarding data
> Occasionally it reads the drive but most of the time the zip drive is
> useless.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about this.

> So I thought I would try kernel 2.6.0-test9.

Probably the right choice.  To get the most out of a recent mobo, you'll
probably have to go to 2.6 eventually, anyway.  And I've had good
success with this kernel on my Abit IS7, with an i865 chipset.

> I compiled the
> SCSI SATA into the kernel. I made a bzdisk. Now the Maxtor drive is
> recognized as sdb, but it fails to boot giving a kernel panic that
root
> drive cannot be found. (Remember that I am compiling the kernel 2.6.0
> when I am running 2.4.22 with /dev/hde2 as my root drive). Running
rdev /dev/fd0 gives 0x3def. Trying to change it with rdev /dev/fd0
/dev/sdb2 gives a disk that will not boot. When I try to change the
root= to /dev/sdb2 in lilo.conf
> and run lilo I get an error message saying that there is no such
drive.
> Is it possible to change from one kernel to another if the root drive
is being changed from /dev/hde2 to /dev/sdb2?

Yes, I've done it.  But it is tricky to move up to 2.6.0-test9 with an
SATA boot drive, because suddenly these drives have changed from IDE to
SCSI.  It took me a while to get the options right, and while I was
doing that I was constantly having to edit /etc/fstab-- putting the root
partition on sda if I was about to boot -test9, and changing it back to
hde if I was going going to boot old reliable -test4.  Occasionally I'd
get things screwed up and have to boot Knoppix (great as a rescue disk
that recognizes SATA drives) to edit /etc/fstab before rebooting again.

You're right to build SATA into your kernel-- that's essential.  But do
you also have generic "SCSI device support" (CONFIG_SCSI) built into
your kernel?  And how about SCSI disk support (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD), as
well as the low-level driver for your particular SATA chipset?  (For my
i865 chipset, the low-level driver is Intel PIIX/ICH support, or
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX).  All of these have to be built into the kernel,
not as modules, or your boot will fail with a kernel panic.  In summary,
here are the options I enabled:

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

This works for me.  If it still doesn't work for you, then maybe you
have a lilo problem.  We could talk about that.

Good luck,
Andrew.