Re: mailbox

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 04:44:52AM -0800, claus larsen wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I have tried hard to setup a mailbox without lock. I have tried a courier-imap solution and i have tried a exim. But i cannot get it to work.
>
> Do anybody know a very basic howto to setup a simpel mailbox?

What exactly are you trying to achive?

For setting up exim with maildirs (needed for courier since it doesn't
handle mail files) and courier imap look at

http://talk.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/exim_maildir_imap.shtml

exim is used to send emails and to recive them via an smtp connection
(i.e an email transport server not an email retriever).
Courier is an email server which allows you to retrieve your local mail
remotly via pop3 or imap (i.e access you local email from a remote
computer).
You may also want to look into an email reading program if you want to
access you local mail localy, i.e kmail, evolution, mutt, pine etc.
Some of these don't have remove fetching abilities (mutt has limited
ability don't think pine has much more) so you may need fetchmail as
well (could have its advantages even with the regular ones).
You may also want to look into procmail and spamassassin for filterring
incomming mail and delivering it to different folders.