Could not load OpenGL library

(please CC me as I'm not on the list)

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you (Nathan, Kevin).

> Unreal Tournament (and UT 2003) is:
> binding libGL.so.1
> appError called:
> Could not load OpenGL library

Quake 3, Armagetron, GL-117, Tux Racer, Tux Aqfh, Chromium, Vegastrike,
and many other games are working great, also does glxgears and all
XScreensaver OpenGL Screensavers ...

Unreal Tournament, UT 2003, Heavy Metal Fakk2, Serious Sam and Legends complain
that they cannot load the OpenGL library ... (wich isn´t true, see strace, at least
it finds and reads libGL.so ...)

The interesting part is, that i dont have this problem on my workstation:
Debian sid (up-to-date) + Kernel 2.6.0-test9 + nvidia-1.0-4496 driver + xfree 4.3.0-pre1v1

I´ve just installed a "fresh" Debian sid on an other computer, and i have exactly the
problems you 2 describe, i dont think it is a problem with dangling symlinks because i
removed all libGL* stuff and reinstalled the nvidia driver, ...
I then thougt it may be related to xfree (because this is the only thing wich was really
different between the two machines), so i upgraded the machine to xfree 4.3.0-pre1v4
and reinstalled the nvidia driver, but this didn´t help ...

I´ve done an strace on the games wich are not working, interestig is that
the game "finds" the library but then claims that it can´t load the opengl lib ...
I know that many people dont like the nvidia driver stuff, but possibly
also "non" nvidia people are affected?
Possibly someone has a clue what update/lib/etc. may be the cause?

If someone is interested, i´ve put up some strace output here,
possibly this helps to find out something:

strace on my workstation, opengl works:
http://segfault.info/simon/tmp/strace-working.tar.gz   [969KB]

strace on the other machine, problem as described above:
http://segfault.info/simon/tmp/strace-not_working.tar.gz   [642KB]

Some more information:

my workstation (opengl works "everywhere [tm]"):
Debian sid, up-to-date = 16.11.2003
Xfree 4.3.0-pre1v1
Kernel 2.6.0-test9-bk12  (and Kernel 2.4.22-ck2)
NVIDIA driver v1.0-4496 + patch for Kernel 2.6
AMD Athlon 2200+ / SiS 745 Chipset / Geforce 3 Ti200

the other machine (problems as described above):
Debian sid, up-to-date = 16.11.2003
Xfree 4.2.1-14 / Xfree 4.3.0-pre1v4
Kernel 2.4.22-ck2
NVIDIA driver v1.0-4496
AMD Athlon 2600+ / Nforce 2 Chipset / Geforce 4 Ti4200

Sorry for my bad english, and for so many proprietary software on this systems  :(
Possibly someone has an idea where this problem may come from ...

Thanks in advance,
				Simon.