Re: ATI Radeon 9800 freezes after using X :1

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:49:26 -0500
TR <tony@the-sphere.org> wrote:

> Is the last version of Xfree in sid supporting ati radeon 9800? Last I
> had checked it was not yet, so I have fireglx from the ati site
> running, which of course has created a lot of conflicts everytime that
> I run an update.

Actually, it's rather easy to keep this problem-free with a little work
by fiddling with the package alien builds from the ATI RPM. Of yourse,
an equivs package providing libgl1 would also work. Here's what I did to
the packages control file (note the Version field is also changed, but
that's not necessary for an equivs package):

Version: 4.2.0-3.2.8
Replaces: mesag3, xlibmesa3, xlibmesa3-gl
Provides: libgl1, xlibmesa3-gl
Conflicts: libgl1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.0)

Killing half of the mesa library packages makes sure the libGL.so is
left alone. The only thing bad about the RPM is that each and every file
is marked executable and it's some work to change this.

--
Got Backup?

Jabber: Shadowdancer at jabber.fsinf.de