Re: gagging - dual-boot - Re: freelance sysadmining - other thread went bonkers

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> > "80% - 90%" of the extra charge will be for some flavor of windoze
> >
> > if people are buying 20-30 systems at a time with Win2K installs
> > at $200each (and upwards) ... than we just *gag* and build it for um
> > ..
> > 	- dual boot- windoze + linux + some minor tweeks
>
> ..bad ram-down-the-troat trap:  How do you prove "it was Microsofts and
> not your fault?"  Stay away from dual boots, send them down the street.

havent had any problem with dual boots ... it's always worked for me,
boot one or the other ... ( never running both at the same time )
	- dual boots are good ... good way to get "extra charges"
	tacked onto their (multiple) system costs

have had major problems with whacky things like vmware and various
windoze emulators --  definite stay away from it, even at $1,000.oo/hr
if you're liable for data on those systems that has to share data
( note the comma, is not a typo ...
( and yes.. i worry about recovering data from "lost disks" and system
( reliability and all the whacky stuff people/businesses are trying to
( avoid/fix by jumping ship(away from windoze) to something else

and yes as you(arnt) say, its a major finger pointing of who is at fault
about why only certain data was lost .. and yes, one could go digging
thru source code to figure it out, if the $$$ were being paid to do so
- lots of bugs to go fix and lots of enhancements to go fulfill..
	- pick the battles and wars you wanna track down

> ..as the penguin pioneer around, her only competition is Microsoft,
> and building that base is workable.  ;-)

yup.. just have to get out there and throw down your door matt
and see who comes knocking w/ check in hand
	and have a clear markings for where the door is, where
	they know what you will do for $$xx or time and what is out of
	the ball park and always have a referral of who can do that
	other stuff within their budget that you don't want to do

	( solve their problem in all cases ... even if by someone else )

c ya
alvin