Re: LILO help please

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, stan wrote:

> I'm trying to recover from a hard drive failure on my main workstation.
>
> I posted to this list the other day, and recieved some very helpful
> replies, which I seem to have deleted, by mistak :-(
>
> In any cas, I've replaced the disk, partioned it, adn restored all of the
> files from an amanda backup. Now I need to make the disk bootable.
>
> As, I recall, this involves booting from the rescue disk, and running liol,
> but I cannot remeber the corect options, and the man page is confusing me.

boot into your system from floppy ...
	-- make various boot floppies..
	w/ lilo, w/ grub, w dd .. so you can always boot

	-- make a standalone boot thingie too
	( deb boot flop or boot cdrom )

say your regular / partition is /dev/hda1

fd_boot_root#  mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
fd_boot_root#  chroot /mnt/hda1 lilo -C /etc/lilo.conf

reboot and it should boot from your hd

c ya
alvin

more boot fun ...