Re: Sociological question about Debian, GNU, and Linux

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 03:36:50PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> The recent discussions of Red Hat's change of policy got me thinking
> about the larger issue of what makes the Debian, GNU, and Linux
> communities work? Yes, I have read lots of opinions, but I wonder if
> anyone knows of some proper academic people studies, the sort of thing
> that might legitimately get published in a referred journal of
> sociology or anthropology?

A couple of people have done studies of the Debian community, and I've
encountered two personally. Biella Coleman showed up at a Debian
conference or two and interviewed a number of people both there and
later with an eye to producing an anthropological study, and I believe
she was interested in the Apache community as well. Chip McCormick of
Albany interviewed me and various others online, and I believe was
producing a sociological dissertation.

I don't have URLs for final reports, but the names may help with
searches.

Cheers,