Sociological question about Debian, GNU, and Linux

The recent discussions of Red Hat's change of policy got
me thinking about the larger issue of what makes the
Debian, GNU, and Linux communities work? Yes, I have read
lots of opinions, but I wonder if anyone knows of some
proper academic people studies, the sort of thing that
might legitimately get published in a referred journal of
sociology or anthropology?

I'm not interested in generating opinion pieces on this
list. If the text doesn't run to 20 or 30 pages with 2 or
3 pages of references, its not what I'm looking for.

TIA

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com