Aptitude

Dear Debian Users,

I installed Debian 3.0r0 from a CD set onto a reformatted hard disk (hdb)
which involved, among others, the following procedures:-
(1) Did not chose tasksel.
(2) Did not chose dselect.
(3) Used apt-get to install aptitude.
(4) Used aptitude to install xserver-s3.
(5) Used aptitude to install x-window-system.
(6) Used aptitude to install KDE. Therefore, I was able to de-select 60
out of 97 recommended dependency programs without creating a broken
package.
(7) Used aptitude to install KDM.

Thus, I was able to successfully load a basic Linux operating system
which enabled me to run aptitude to install and remove programs in order
to determine their relevance for a proposed customised desktop.

Once the list of programs was finalised, and with a reformatted hard
disk, I undertook the above steps 1 to 7 again. However, repeating stage
6 exactly, KDE always remained as a broken package (even if de-select 1
out of 97 recommended dependency programs), and therefore unable to
proceed.

Nevertheless, I decided to carry on and installed KDE, including all
recommended dependency programs, with the intention to remove unwanted
programs, e.g., KOffice, Kruler, etc., on completion of the above steps 1
to 7. To my surprise, this was not possible to achieve with aptitude or
Kpackage or synaptic, without removing KDE itself.

I shall be grateful if someone will kindly provide answers to these
questions:
(1) Why is the KDE program a mega package, i.e., incorporate KOffice,
etc. programs?
(2) Why did aptitude work the way I expected the first time, but not on
subsequent occasions?
(3) Is there a program available to remove unwanted packages either
before or after installation?
(4) Does the program deselect (very difficult to use) fulfil my
objectives (a minimalist installation)?

All assistance will be most appreciated.

Best wishes,

K Lowe.