sarge installation

I downloaded and burned the sarge netinst CD (dated 11/09/2003) and have been trying to install it on a new box.

Observations.

at "boot:" don't hit 'net'.
bad things seem to happen.
Select Language is NOOP
Hardware detection fails at ide-cd modprobe

Very inconsistent behaviour.
Same keystrokes get me different "paths" through the installation.

I was trying to get the installation to work with LVM.
The farthest I was able to get was to configure the LV/PV groups.
But when I rebooted, the LVM modules were not loaded and the fstab entries, while correct, where impossible because there was nothing to manage the LVM.

I don't know if this is something that has already been addressed at this is my first day trying this. But if this is new, I'll endeavor to capture the debugging logs and do it again.