Re: LAN setup

+0100 (CET), received at 11:27:27 on 14/11/2003. Adam Galant wrote:
> >Hi.
> >
> >I'm not quite sure, but I think you need an acess point - a device similar
> >to hub for 'copper' LANs. I don't think two wireless LAN cards can talk to
> >each other directly (although, as I said,  I am not quite sure).
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Adam
> >
> >On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Japox wrote:
> >> I have just recently bought a DELL inspiron 500m which has a wireless
> >> card built in... how do i get two of the same type notebooks to get
> >> wireless LAN...
> >>

> >> JAPOX

Your cards should have 2 options for communicating - infrastructre mode and
ad-hoc mode. Infrastructure is where your laptops talk to a wireless access
point on a LAN. Ad hoc is where your two laptops talk to each other
wirelessly.

Check the manuals that came with your wireless cards *or with your laptop if
the cards are built in). The manual should be able to tell you how to set up
in ad hoc mode.