Re: How to set up XDM to automatically login one user?

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 05:19:24PM -0600, Lance Simmons wrote:
> I've got Debian running on an old tablet computer, and I'd like to have
> it start an X session for me as soon as I boot up.  (There's only one
> user, me.)  The xdm manpage is mysterious to me; does anyone know how to
> do what I'm seeking?

I read this paragraph, and decided I should dissuade you from attempting
this, but then...

> Currently, xdm seems to require a keyboard to log in, but I mostly use
> this machine with only a stylus.  Better it just automatically logs me
> in and starts an X session for me.

...hmm, now that is an interesting situation. This might help:

	Get the keyboard app xvkbd (there's a debian package for it). Edit the
	kdm/xdm file Xsetup, add the line /usr/X11R6/bin/xvkbd & to the end,
	just before exit 0. When you start kdm/xdm next you should see a
	keyboard.
	http://linux-tablet-pc.dhs.org/howto.html

--
Jon Dowland