Re: how to do a clean upgrade without losing packages?

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 17:26, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> I believe most of your concern is unjustified, as packages tend to get
> reorganized over time or replaced by appropriate alternatives (renamed,
> etc.). There may be some which no longer exist, but I don't {know
> if | believe} they would be excised for that reason.  You might check the
> contents of some of the packages being removed against the unstable
> distribution to see whether they exist in an alternate .deb (which you
> should then find is in the new list to be downloaded).  This can be
> done at Debian's web site.
>
> One thought is whether you know of other packages dependent on those
> listed.  If so, what are their new (Sid) dependencies, and are those
> met in your upgrade?

Kenward is right in saying that generally speaking most of the
deletions, etc, are probably done for a good reason. It's definitely
worth taking the time to check which packages are being removed. It's
possible that their functionality is just being integrated into a
pre-existing package.

But to answer your original question, if you don't want any
additions/deletions done, what you want is:

apt-get upgrade

This will only upgrade those packages that can be upgraded without
requiring removing or adding packages.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837