Re: Re: gnome installation help

Edward, thanks for trying to help, I know I wasn't
very specific.

I've successfully installed Debian 3.01 woody with the
'vanilla' option on a Dell Precision 410 workstation.
Everything works at the command line, apt-get update,
apt-get upgrade, anything.

However, I've tried with several video cards, both AGP
and PCI.  s3 Virge, Diamond Fire GL1 (the original to
the machine), etc.  Nothing seems to work!!

I guess I'm looking for a specific set of apt-get
install commands.  I've tried numerous times, most
recently with:

apt-get install x-window-system-core

then

apt-get install sawmill-gnome

I've run xf86config numerous times.  Nothing seems to
work.

How do I invoke Gnome??  xinit?  Every time I reboot I
get to the command line or xserver cannot start.

I really want to run a Linux desktop, but this is very
frustrating.  Any good tutorials online (I haven't
found any!)?

Brett