Re: gnome installation help

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 05:45, bstil@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to run Gnome and XFree86 on my
> Debian box, a Dell Precision.
>
> The Debian command line works great.
> However, I can't get Gnome working properly no matter
> how many times I try variations on apt-get install
> ---- .  I get an Xserver could not start error...
>
> I *am* able to boot to Knoppix, which correctly
> identifies my video card and runs KDE.
>
> Please give a basic list of commands or link to gnome
> installation tutorial.

It would be good to know which version of Debian you're running, the
kernel version, the graphics card, and possibly the version of XFree86.

However, most likely the computer is attempting to run the screen/card
at a resolution or display depth it is incapable of. The settings for
this are held in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

You can edit this manually, or reconfigure it with the command;
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Alternatively, try copying the configuration file from Knoppix.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, don't forget to check the log
file. The log file for xfree86 is at /var/log/XFree86.0.log.
It is probably easiest to read the file with less, so the command would
be;
less /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Hope this helps;

- Edward