Re: (newbie) Still no network...

Hi Kevin,

   please wrap you lines at 72 characters.

* Kevin Krumwiede <kjkrum@comcast.net> [031114 13:50]:
> I've installed 3.0r1 a few times now on my laptop, and I'm still
> running into problems.  I used apt-get to install a newer
> kernel-image and matching kernel-pcmcia-modules.  It boots, but
> pcmcia won't load and I have no network.

What is the error message when you try to load the pcmia modules
(modprobe)? Or what happens when you try to load them with modconf?
BTW, you probably should tell us what kernel you are using and the
output of

lspci | grep CardBus

Sorry if you posted this info earlier.

> Assuming I start with a fresh install, what commands should I run to
> upgrade the kernel without screwing everything up?

Add whatever sources you want to your /etc/apt/sources.list, then:

apt-get update
apt-get install kernel-image-<version>
apt-get install kernel-pcmcia-modules-<version>

> (My reason for wanting to upgrade the kernel is the hideous
> framebuffer console that can't be turned off in the stock kernel...)

> BTW, is there a program analogous to RedHat's chkconfig?

Dunno, don't use RedHat. What does chkconfig do?

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux