Re: problem in screen resolution at 1024*768

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:26:22 -0500,
Bill Benedetto <bbenedetto@goodyear.com> wrote in message
<[🔎] E1AKMAg-0008J6-00@rds059>:

>   Rafa> I recently installed debian from a Knoppix 3.3
>   Rafa> catalan. The problem is that I want to have a 1024*768
>   Rafa> resolution (BTW my monitor is a 15" SyncMaster 551S,
>   Rafa> samsung, with a recommeded refresh vertical rate of 85
>   Rafa> Hz). I obtain only a 800x600 resolution (see attached
>   Rafa> file XF86Config-4_old.txt).

..lose the "vsync=85" bit, boot "knoppix screen=1024x768".

> I just had an issue like this as well.  I used the XF86Config-4
> file from Knoppix and couldn't get the resolution that I wanted.

> In order to fix it, I just removed all of the ModeLine's and let
> XFree86 do its work.
>
> I decided to remove them based on the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO
> which said:
>
>    This HOWTO is effectively obsolete. Current (4.0.1 and up) versions
>    of XFree86 compute optimal modelines from the resolution you

..I beg to differ, I can afford to fry my card to find optimums, the
damned thing can do 235MHz but is capped to 162MHz, and
hangs 1/3 "out the left window".  Yeah, a cooked 20"'er.

>    specify in the Modes section of your X configuration file.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: