Re: Disaster recovery help, please

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 09:58:31PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 18:03, stan wrote:
> > Last night I was peacefully using my happy little Debian machine,
> > when it froze. To make a log sad story short, it was a cataostrophic
> > disc failure (still in waranty it turns out).
> >
> > The good news, is that I have Amanda runing every night, so I really
> > don't think I will lose anything. However I have a question about
> > how to recover from this.
> >
> > I plan on restoring the complete amanda backup of the disk to
> > another disk, on a running machine. So far so good. At that point
> > I _think_ I should be in good shape, except for boot blocks, right?
> >
> > So, given that I was using liol, what should I do to restore the boot
> > blocks?
>
> Once you've copied the data back onto the new drive just boot from a
> rescue disc or a Debian install disc and re-run lilo. In the case of the
> Debian install disc (Woody), you'll want to do either:
>
> rescue root=/dev/yourrootpartition
>
> or
>
> rescbf24 root=/dev/yourrootpartition

No, it's a 2.4 serries.

BTW, the disk is resiserfs formated, does that represent a problem?

The reason I want to do it this way, rather than a reinstall is, I hade
pretty much the last version of Gnome 1.4, which I really love, and I
_HATE_ Gnome 2 so much I will probably dfect to the KDE camp eventually.

Thanks for the help, I geuss this is a weekend project.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin