Re: apt-get unstable question

"Rick Weinbender" <rwein@central-ph.k12.mo.us> writes:
> I'm running the current stable version
> and I need to install a package from
> an unstable source (tmda ver.0.86).
> (the unstable package does work with woody).
> *
> Is there a way to install an unstable package on
> stable distro from the command line.
> *
> Someone suggested 'apt-get -t unstable install tmda'.
> I tried this but it didn't work.
> Does anyone know if this is possible and the proper syntax.

Do you have a /etc/apt/sources.list file that contains pointers to the
unstable distro?

Here's a excerpt from mine:

  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free
  deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

I list all 3 releases, by name (woody = stable, sarge = testing, sid =
unstable).

Once you have that you'll want to tell apt the main release you
want. Do that by editing /etc/apt/apt.conf and putting a line like:

  APT::Default-Release "stable";

in it.

Gary