Re: Night mare to set day light savings time

"Jigga Man" <jiggamanrocks@yahoo.com> writes:
>    Sorry to directly send you an email but i dont know
> how to reply to the mailing list. when i click the
> reply to link it gives a dialog box saying  mailto
> protocl not registered. Anyways Thank you very much
> for your time to help me with my problem
>  I tried the su  -c tzconfig and when thru the the
> proces  s..it only asked me 2 things first select a
> country in which i selected option no 3 which US
> timezones and then in option 2 i selected Eastern and
> here is the output
>
> Your default time zone is set to 'US/Eastern'.
> Local time is now:      Thu Nov 13 11:44:48 EST 2003.
> Universal Time is now:  Thu Nov 13 16:44:48 UTC 2003.
>

> this time is still one hour off ..its says local time
> is 11:44 when its actully 10:44 here ...
>
> i didnt find any specific option for daylight savings
> time... did i do anything worng ?

I'm a bit confused. Are you in a location which is still on daylight
savings time (DST)? Most of the US switched back to standard time a
couple of weeks ago and if you're on the East coast and your clock is
set correctly then the time zone is correct. EST = UTC - 5, which is
what the info you give above says. If your clock still thought you
were in DST your time information would be EDT = UTC - 4.

Perhaps the issue isn't the timezone, but the fact that your clock is
set incorrectly? You can reset your clock, as root, using the command:

    date 11131317

for example, to set the time/date to Nov. 13, 1:17pm (see man date).

This is all apart from the hardware/BIOS clock. The hardware clock
only matters at boot time and shutdown time. Once you get the time set
correctly in Linux you can synch your hardware clock using the
command:

    hwclock --systohc

Depending on how you have your hardware clock set up you'll want to
add either "--localtime" or "--utc" to the command line. You can find
out which of these Linux thinks your hardware clock should be set at
by reading /etc/default/rcS and looking at the variable UTC. If it's
set to "no" then run:

    hwclock --systohc --localtime

if it's set to "yes" then run

    hwclock --systohc --utc

If your hardware clock is set to local time then the issue may be that
your hardware/BIOS clock didn't reset when we came off DST?

Gary