Locales vs. xlib

Hey,

The last few days, I've been wondering how I should get those #!@
locales working.

Using debconf, I selected en_US.ISO-8859-15 to be generated (the
ISO-8859-15 while I like to be able to use the euro-sign). However,
little problems started to pop up.

First, there was gnome-terminal, which doesn't seem to handle UTF-8
quite correctly. That's why I chose ISO-8859-15 in the first place.
Everything now seems to work properly (after being unable to do anything
that had accents right, that's quite a relief). Still, gnome-terminal
uses UTF-8 by default, because -- so it says -- that's my "current
locale". I don't have UTF-8 mentioned anywhere in files I think might be
relevant (/etc/environment, ~/.bashrc), so I don't understand why it
takes UTF-8. I could manually change the charset of gnome-terminal every
time I use it, but that's quite a hassle. So I thought I'd stick with
xterm.

However, when I open an xterm out of gnome-terminal, I notice that the
"current locale is not supported by xlib", after which it reverts to C.
After some Googling, I found this could mean problems with locale.alias
in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale. And indeed, the locale I use
(en_US.ISO-8859-15) doesn't seem to exist in there. What gives? I use
the experimental deb's of XFree 4.3; is this specific locale just
something that's not yet supported in X?

Greets,
Tom

--
"Mongolian drivers do not care much about pedestrians."