Re: exim4 - rejecting .com,.bat,.exe,.pif extensions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kjetil Kjernsmo" <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:35 AM
Subject: Re: exim4 - rejecting .com,.bat,.exe,.pif extensions

> On Thursday 13 November 2003 13:13, BruceG wrote:
> >       Anyone have a pointer to what file/directory I need to hit to
> > start rejecting attachments that contain Windows executables?
>
> Yup, I snatched this from somewhere and put it in
> acl/40_exim4-config_check_data
>
> # Unpack MIME containers and reject file extensions
> # used by worms. Note that the extension list may be
> # incomplete.
> deny  message = $found_extension files not accepted (may contain MS
> virus)
>       demime = com:exe:vbs:bat:pif:scr
>

> Cheers,
>
> Kjetil

Thanks! That did the trick. I included the extensions in your list and in
Tom's list. I'll need to check what .wsh and .wsf files are, though. Anyway,
ClamAV is working, rejects based on extensions are working (I tested from a
different account).

Still not doing Spam filters as I'm not sure at all about the overhead (very
old PC, serving mail for me - and maybe my kids if they want). I might look
into the RBL block lists and block on Spam sites, but not dial-up sites. My
PC sits in the dial-up area (behind a DSL router), so I would be on that
block list. I'll approach that in another week or so, unless Spam gets too
heavy (and no, that is not a challenge to the list!).