Re: Going to give it another shot-need more help

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:31:35 +0000, Jonathan Dowland wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:45:09PM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
>
>> I recieved many suggestions to remedy the problem, non of them easy.
>>
>> I've decided to try to recompile the latest kernel.  I figure that it
>> would be nice to have the latest kernel with support for only the
>> hardware I have (or think I might add in the future) and none for what
>> I won't ever have.  But, this is hacker level stuff I've never done,
>> so I'm going to need a whole-lotta help.
>
>What is currently on the machine you wish to convert to debian?

It's blank.

I'd
>advise against compiling a new kernel at this stage, but I don't know
>which suggestions you have deemed hard.

Here's the story.  I installed with disk 1 and my onboard Broadcom
4401 nic isn't supported.  I asked on this list for help and was told
by numerous people that later kernels supported it and that I should
get the latest and compile it.

I thought that this was excessively geeky since I had managed to
install support for this card as a module under Redhat.  But I figured
that I might learn something.

Anyway this has been a huge pain in the ass
since the machine has no networking and consequently no apt-get (which
I've been led to believe is a package retreiver).  After burning a
bunch of CD's I finally got all the requirements installed and
installed and compiled 2.4.22.

I then made and make installed the module.  Now I need to know what
lines I have to add to what files to get the module working.

>It all depends on the specifics involved but I would recommend somehow
>getting a .o kernel module for your NIC into the debian install process.

This is what I wanted to know in the first place.  It isn't covered
in the install manual.

>This can be done by putting it on a hard drive and mounting it, a floppy
>disk or another cd-rom.

I was never asked during the install process if I had any modules on
other media to add.

>Obtaining the .o depends entirely on the drivers in question - you may
>need some kernel-sources corresponding to the kernel version on the
>debian cd (3.0 has the boot-floppies-2.4 kernel or something) and then
>build the module with it, or the vendor might distribute x86 binaries
>already.
>Can you tell us more about the model of the NIC and the drivers that
are
>supplied?

Broadcom 4401, it is only distributed as source or a Redhat RPM.

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.