Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

hi ya vikki

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Vikki Roemer wrote:

> Yikes.  I'm starting to think the FooAdmin part of Foosoft is a bad idea...
> :(
> Now that you have thoroughly discouraged me from remote sysadmining, how
> about if I start small and locally with home users within a certain radius
> (50 miles?)?

dont give up yet... just rethink the plan .. and why ...
	its time vs $$$$ issue and risk of losing time, $$$ or patience or
	care or friends or ??

or within 10 minutes driving time ??? -- nothing wrong with remote admin
as long as both understnad what that means ...
	- i like admining across the pacific ocean ..
	but it gets to be a pain, "but the machine doesnt boot" :-)
	( well stick a floppy in it ... oh no, it doesnt have a floppy
	  drive .. and so goes the fun ...

and charge a "real fees"  as if it was a regular full-time job
	( $3 - $4/minute of support )

	$60K/yr is roughly $30/hr  or $0.50/minute ;-)

	( adjust for your locale - based on competitors and skills
	( and performance and abilities and customers requests

or do it for free ... ( i can't bill somebody $0.50/minute ... )

do it for free because they are friends and neighbors or
ceritified tax deductable non-profit

charge business .. small/medium/large ...

> About the credit card machine-- my mom closed her business, but she's kept
> the machine.  So she says she could transfer it to my business.

usually the merchant bank will ask for those cc machines back
to avoid minimize any possiblity of cc fraud etc.etc..
	( ie you cannot get a credit machine from anybody except
	( the bank and "authorized agents"

get the c.c. ( merchant acct ) transfered into "roemer consulting"  and
get a  business license and bank account ...   and you're 1% of the way
to gettting going :-)
	- or have mom's flower shop change its name and
	take over that unused acct
	( just pretend like you "legally w/ proper paperwork" bought all
	( the remaininng assets all aspects of the business that didnt
	( file dissolution yet

	- it's a lot cheaper to use a merchant acct w/ a storefront
	than to just do "internet only" merchant accts
	( anywhere from 3% - 10% credit card processing fee )
		- keep selling those previous widgets for a year or two
		and than shut it down :-0

	- a typical business w/ a storefront is about 1% - 3% c.c. fees

--
-- lots of thinking ... fun stuff to do local or remote admin ...
--	the techie part is only 5% of the work ..

have fun
alvin