Re: Disaster recovery help, please

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Alex Malinovich wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 18:03, stan wrote:
> > Last night I was peacefully using my happy little Debian machine,
> > when it froze. To make a log sad story short, it was a cataostrophic
> > disc failure (still in waranty it turns out).
> >
> > The good news, is that I have Amanda runing every night, so I really
> > don't think I will lose anything. However I have a question about
> > how to recover from this.

restore your system from a clean install ( original cd or off the net )...
	- unless yo know precisely why your system crashed/hung
	( do you know if the backup has the "thing" also backed up
	( that caused the "catastrophic failure", that restoring it
	( will cause another failure in the near future .. time will tell

after a clean/fresh install w/ latest/greatest patches,
than restore your /home and other user data from backups
( checking each section at a time so that your newly restored system
( doesnt crash again

- put this backup aside, and start a fresh new backup disks
  of the new system ... in a few months, merge that old backup
  with the new backups
	- you should have 3 different backups anyway scattered
	about just in case one dies ( and the larger backups disks
	holding some old-old data )

c ya
alvin