Re: window manager recomendation

Micha Feigin wrote:
Hello,

Hoping this won't turn into a flame war, I am looking for
recommendations for a window manager. I tried quiet a few but none seem
to fit the bill yet.
I need a window manager with the following
- As lite as possible on memory (I heavily stress my laptop so I don't
have much to spare).
- Multiple desktops
- A pop up menu application (don't need a panel) that has support for
both the debian menus and a custom menu.
- Hotkeys (mainly for maximize/minimize/desktop switch)
- multiple desktops

I like fvwm, it is fairly lightweigth (lot of stuff is in modules so if you don't need it just don't use it), not easy to configure (text files, but simple config is fairly simple), it has very good virtual screen support (you can drag windows from pager to current screen, move windows in pager, switch to different screens by moving mouse (if you want), by hotkeys or clicking on appropriate screen in pager, drag windows from one screen to another etc.), you can have keys for pretty much everything. You can have a panel or pop-up menu, your choice (and if you don't use panel it does not use any memory since it'sa module). Default debian config has menus (click root menu with each mouse button), you can easily change them and/or create your own menus and display them using either hotkeys or some mouse action etc.

You can also define all the window decorations and what they do - how to minimize/maximize/iconify window, how to move resize window, how to lower/raise window etc. (e.g. I generally use no borders and resize windows by right clicking the title)

the default look kinda sucks though... it can be changed completely (take a lok at www.fvwm.org)

	erik