USB 2 and APIC Question.

I am trying to get a Sony USB DVD+R+RW drive working with an Albatron KX400-8XV motherboard and a 2.6.0-test9 kernel. An Epson Stylus C82 USB printer is also attached to the system.

With APIC enabled in BIOS and booting up with a 2.4.22 kernel both the DVD drive and the printer are recognized as speed 12 devices, cdrecord -scanbus reports the DVD drive on scsibus1 at 1,0,0 and with ln -s /dev/sr1 /dev/dvd the DVD drive can haltingly play a movie dvd. (scsibus0 0,0,0 is a CD-ROM drive)

With APIC enabled in BIOS and booting up with a 2.6.0-test9 kernel the DVD drive is not recognized and a continuing stream of messages of failures to assign a device number scroll up the console.

With APIC disabled in BIOS and booting up with the 2.6.0-test9 kernel the DVD drive is recognized as a speed 480 device and there is no longer a scsibus1. Clearly the link to /dev/sr1 is no longer appropriate but what is the appropiate link? The only usb devices seem to be usblp0 and usbmouse.

I am searching /var/log/syslog for a clue but have not found the correct dev as yet. Does anyone know what it is?

Tom George