Re: Free-lance - office move stuff-o-rama

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, BruceG wrote:

> 3. Move PCs to new building. This is just a short walk, so they could be
> carried.
>     Insert floppy in drive to prevent failure. (is there a command to park
> the hard drive?). Move the PC, keyboard, monitor, cables and mouse.

Are you using 5.25" drives?!?!

If not, don't worry about parking the heads on a floppy drive.  In all the
years I've kicked about 3.5" floppy drives, I've never had issues with
them going bad from that.  I do remember the days of 360k floppy drives
shipping with a cardboard insert, but these had a much different
mechanical mechanism to lock the disk in.

Hard drives are autoparking, unless you've got a bunch of really
really ancient dinosaurs there.

Easy way is don't drop the machine.

> 3 LAN printers are on lease. Have leasing company move the LAN printers to
> make sure we don't void warrantees.

This part is pretty sad, but I guess that's what the leasing company
wants?

> Okay - if you guys were doing an office move, what else would you include?
> It's a MS shop, so Linux would only play in there as a Samba server for file
> sharing and for backups.

Doing something similar to this now, smbtar works very nicely for backups,
Windows 95/98 can be restored on a hard drive right from the .tar.gz and
it will work perfectly.  Just have to partition the drive, sys c: it, and
restore the .tar.gz.

Win2000/XP, you have to rebuild the OS, and restore the data files from
your backup though.

Definately leave enough time to restore a backup/rebuild a machine.  Are
the machines powered up all the time, or shut down normally at night?  If
they're powered 24/7, you can possibly expect to see a hard drive not come
back after being powered up.

Mike