Re: update-rc.d

One suggestion here might be to put an exit statement on a line by itself
near the beginning of the script, before anything is executed. This will
prevent the script from running even though the rc.d links are in
place. When you update the package, the install script should detect
that the init script was modified and ask you if you want to keep your
current version of the script or use the new one. That way you don't have
to reconfigure the links.

Hope this is helpful

Ernest Johanson
Systems Administrator