Re: ldconfig and hosing my system [SOLVED!]

My original problem was that I had run ldconfig with a bogus
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable setting and that hosed up my
/etc/ld.so.cache.

Matthias Hentges <eebe@gmx.net> and David Z Maze
<dmaze@debian.org> both recommended booting knoppix and using
chroot to run ldconfig so as to update my hard disk's
/etc/ld.so.cache.  I did that very thing and it more or less
fixed my problem.

I say "more or less" because when I was trying to fix this
problem earlier, I had copied a libc.so.6 from another location
and had it in my /lib directory.  I also had my original
libc.so.6 in there.  What goofed me was that I had these
libc.6.so related files/links:
  libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so (link)
  libc.so.6-crap             (file)

When I would run ldconfig, ldconfig would ignore the original
link and instead recreate the libc.so.6 link like this:
  libc.so.6 -> libc.so.6-crap (link)

When I rebooted with that combination, I would get the kernel
panic.  Once I figured that out, I just removed the
libc.so.6-crap and then ldconfig did the right thing.

So I pretty much shot myself in the foot early on trying to fix
this thing.

Thanks everyone for the help!

- Bill
Bill Benedetto     <bbenedetto@goodyear.com>    The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
I don't speak for Goodyear and they don't speak for me.  We're both happy.