Re: SVGATextMode

Pigeon wrote:
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:22:49PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

<snip>

You really need an answer from someone who uses svgatextmode on your
video card; I don't have an nvidia card so can't be specifically
helpful.

Do your other systems that still work use the same video card?

Can you give a more detailed description of how the display is "messed
up"?

I did at one point find that setting 100x37 on bootup failed because
the timings were out and the monitor wouldn't sync to it. The solution
was to modify the bootup script to set 100x37, then set 80x25, then
set 100x37 again, and it would get the timings right on the second
attempt.

Have you tried (a) experimenting with slower dot clocks while keeping
all other values the same, or (b) changing the width of the sync pulses?

Thanks for answering!

This is the DUMBEST... :-(

I started installing from scratch again.
The debian 3.01a root disk, because it is woody, first puts up all the woody sources.
I then change that to Sarge and run update again on a second vt.

Then... It occurred to me:
I forgot to run dist-upgrade on the basedebs of woody that got installed!
It has all the console stuff: console-tools-libs that doesn't exist in Sarge but libconsole does, console-date, console-common, console-tools, they all get replaced by Sarge.

So I just did an dist-upgrade on the already completed system with the bad looking SVGATextMode, and... bingo!~fixed!

Looks great...
I use s100x48, is super fast and looks great, have a red border around the console too...

Hugo.