Re: Installing modem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 19:30
Subject: Re: Installing modem

> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> > I installed minicom from KDE package manager.  It is very easy.  Issued
> > 'minicom -s' and was able to move around and inserted a telephone number
in
> > the calling option but couldnt make anything happen.  Red the man page
as
> > well. Got into initalization modem and couldnt get out without closeing
> > window. What am I doing wrong?
> > Regards;
> > Hoyt
> >

> You're having tremendous difficulties getting a modem working. Could I
> suggest that you beg/borrow an external serial modem (not USB, not
> internal) from a friend, even if it's a lowly 1200baud modem? Get that
> working; then when you're satisfied that you're making progress, then
> start struggling again with your internal PCI modem (which I despise,
> because they're always trouble in my experience).
>
> --
> Kent

Good Idea but the only person I know with a computer likely has a winmodem
and I already have 2 of those and I think the problem is deeper than the
modem.  Of course I cant prove it but there is somthing not right and I cant
put my finger on the difficulty too many things just happen and logic just
dosent permit that.  There is a cockroach in this system and I had hoped to
find it by fixing the basic problems first. Dont forget when I installed
this modem and put the case back together. Turned on power windows booted
and dialed my ISP.  No install no hassel of any kind,  the modem cant be
totally at falt.
Regards;
Hoyt