Re: Periodic sluggishness in games

Ron Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:03, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

I'm experiencing periodic sluggishness when I play 3d games like Unreal Tournament (natively) and Max Payne (WineX). It's not a framerate problem, because there's no choppiness, it's periodic (a minute of slowness, a couple minutes of normal, a couple of slow, et c.), and there's no apparent relation to the complexity of the action when it happens. The effect is as if the game itself is going into a slow-mo mode (yes, I know, Max Payne has a slow-mo mode, but that's not what's going on here).

I have a new Dell 5150 with an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 using the latest nVidia-supplied drivers. I don't have any apps running while I'm playing the games, save for Gnome and its applets and such.

Does anyone have any clue what could be the problem here?

Can you ssh in from another system, and run top(1) in P mode?
Maybe some intermittent process is jumping in.

Assuming that any such process would be running even when I'm not in a game, would simply watching top for a while work?

Unfortunately I don't have another system to ssh from.

As a test, I tried playing UT from twm, with none of the Gnome stuff running. The same problem occurs. It appears to be kind of progressive: it's fine for a good while, then slows for a moment, then is fine for a shorter time, then slows, then fine, slows, fine, slows, et c.

Just from sitting here watching top for a while, it appears my highest memory hog is Mozilla Mail checking for new messages, but that never gets above 4%. I've run the game without Mozilla in the background, with the same behavior.

I've never noticed this effect in Windows.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]

Phone     [+1 662-518-1636]