Re: Periodic sluggishness in games

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 18:03, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:
> I'm experiencing periodic sluggishness when I play 3d games like Unreal
> Tournament (natively) and Max Payne (WineX). It's not a framerate
> problem, because there's no choppiness, it's periodic (a minute of
> slowness, a couple minutes of normal, a couple of slow, et c.), and
> there's no apparent relation to the complexity of the action when it
> happens. The effect is as if the game itself is going into a slow-mo
> mode (yes, I know, Max Payne has a slow-mo mode, but that's not what's
> going on here).
>
> I have a new Dell 5150 with an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 using the latest
> nVidia-supplied drivers. I don't have any apps running while I'm playing
> the games, save for Gnome and its applets and such.
>
> Does anyone have any clue what could be the problem here?

Can you ssh in from another system, and run top(1) in P mode?
Maybe some intermittent process is jumping in.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms [of
government] those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow
operations, perverted it into tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson